Now things are starting to come together. I decided to ‘wash’ the reef as I felt that the colors were too overbearing for the scene. I was able to take a blue hue and mix it with white acrylic paint and dilute it with water. This allowed me to put a thin layer of paint on the reef making it appear as if it were further away.
I also added a few fish. To do this, I masked their silhouette using white acrylic paint. After the paint dried I colored the fish. This gave me the opportunity to paint true colors on the fish and not have to worry about the background color interfering with my pallet. I am pretty sure I am going to add more fish to this one soon.